Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Doggone Drivers


Any of you have teenaged drivers? If so, do you feel they have the ability to pre-plan and react to sticky situations? Or is unleashing a newbie driver onto the open road akin to unleashing a dog onto a highway?

My daughter, after much hounding at me, got her driver's license last week. And this week, she got into her first accident--on the first day of driving without me in the car! She's 1 for 1, or I guess I should say 0 for 1.

In Sins of the Border, Lila's daughter, 15 year-old daughter, Ellory, likes to sit in the car, play her music and pretend she's driving. I wish I could say that my daughter was still pretending. But unfortunately I let loose this 5 foot, 85 pound driving machine onto the streets of Scottsdale. Actually, I should say she WAS set loose. For the next few months, I'm going to be co-piloting. I don't think Scottsdale is ready for my daughter. And I don't think she's solo ready either. At this point, I think I'd feel more comfortable with a pooch at the wheel.

Have you experienced similar driving incidents with your teens? Who has the better judgement, or dog or a 16 year-old girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment